The MoU relates to an expected order and supply of a turnkey electrolyser system with up to 5MW of total capacity, worth around $5.8m if fully utilised.

The pilot project is planned for 2023, with hydrogen production expected to begin in early 2024.

Christer Wikner, President and CEO of Metacon, said, “The opportunity to use hydrogen to both store locally produced fossil-free energy and use it to power emission-free transports summarises the core of our vision of contributing to self-sufficient and sustainable societies.”

Within the framework of the MoU will be an 5MW electrolyser linked to a planned RDSF solar PV installation in Katowice. The PV system will be owned and operated by RDSF, with Metacon supplying electrolyser equipment and turnkey infrastructure.

The MoU is part of RDSF’s development project, ‘forest of energy’, which atargets investments in fossil-free energy and hydrogen and to begin construction of several facilities for green hydrogen production for the transportation sector.

Metacon completed the acquisition of electrolysis company Water2H2 in 2021, in order to strengthen its role in the global hydrogen economy.

The company owned 20% of the shares in the company since its interception and exercised an option to acquire the remaining 80% this month.

Read more: Metacon acquires WaterH2H; strengthens its hydrogen focus

Last year, Metacon revealed it is set to supply an integrated green hydrogen production, storage, fuel cell and refuelling system to Romanian firm, Ground Investment Corp (GIC), under a €16.1m agreement.

The Swedish company also signed an MoU with Abwasserverband Kempten (Allgäu) (AVKE), to supply a mid-size HHG hydrogen generator at the plant to produce fossil-free hydrogen produced from biogas.

Read more: Metacon to supply integrated hydrogen system to Romania under €16.1m agreement

Read more: Metacon to demonstrate biogas-to-green hydrogen technology at German wastewater plant

Did you know H2 View is recognised as an official partner of the Hydrogen Council?

This means we get exclusive columns, interviews and studies that you won’t find anywhere else. Along with our featured webinars and events, H2 View is the go to global platform for the hydrogen industry.

Become a subscriber today to make sure you don’t miss out. Already a subscriber? Log in here.